Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time
- Thomas Merton


Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Resolutions

I've never been a big fan of New Year Resolutions. I still make them, but am well aware that no one ever keeps them (me included). I mean, I'm sure everyone has good intentions, but I just end up grumpier than normal when I'm at the gym (because, really, anyone who's happy to be there in the first place is on something) because the gym and pool get overcrowded for January, maybe a little bit into February, and sharing my space and altering my routine is not enjoyable. At all.

Think about sharing a swim lane with 10 people. You swim a length. Wait. Swim another length. Wait again. You catch up to someone and get kicked in the face. It creates a jam of swimmers who are now just treading water waiting for the person who thinks doing the doggy paddle is enough to qualify them for lane swim. Lovely times.

Anyway. My point.

I've decided to try making a resolution this year that has nothing to do with my weight or health. I'm going to paint one painting a month. I wanted to try weekly but thought I'd like to at least pretend to have a life.

So here goes. One painting a month. January will be Freud. He's so close to being done, just some color adjustment and we're good to go.

Cross your fingers I make it past February.

2 comments:

  1. The only resolution I ever kept was not to make any more. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea! Then I can commission new paintings!

    ReplyDelete