Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time
- Thomas Merton


Sunday, January 30, 2011

Simple Joy

I started this one a few paintings ago and it's been sitting unfinished, just staring at me. Since Baby Clothes has been giving me fits, I decided to abandon ship and work on something else.

I love the simplicity of it. Just a few flowers in a window box on a beautiful summer day. This is another of Chris and Kelly's shots. From Venice, I think.



Simple Joy (9x12)

I absolutely, unequivocally, love Jason Mraz. If you haven't heard more than 'Lucky' or 'I'm Yours' (shame on you!), check out the rest of his music. Better yet, see him live. He's one of the few singers who actually sound better live. I promise, you'll love him too.

As an homage to my love, I made a playlist of all my favorite Mraz tunes. Here's a selection of the current favs. Just hearing the first few notes of any of his songs can brighten the worst day. Simple joy, indeed.

1. Sleeping to Dream
2. Who Needs Shelter
3. Sunshine Song
4. Life is Wonderful
5. Make it Mine
6. Song for a Friend
7. A Beautiful Mess
8. You and I Both
9. Details in the Fabric (ft. James Morrison)
10. No Stopping Us
11. After an Afternoon
12. Did You Get My Message?
13. The Dynamo of Volition
14. Love Love Love (Hope ft. Mraz)
15. Shy That Way (Tristan Prettyman ft. Mraz) - because I'm a dork and love that they're so cute and engaged and all.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! We're so flattered that you like our pictures enough to paint them! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness... this post just MADE MY WEEK!!! Some of these songs (#s 2, 10 and 15) I don't know yet so I will be looking them up, but #s 1, 5, 8 & 11 are SO FREAKING AMAZING!!! I mean, I love them all, of course, but still! Just thinking about them made me smile... :)

    I would also have added Childlike Wildlife, Plane, Clockwatching and probably Wordplay... and probably Geek in the Pink... hahaha... today I was singing "Man Gave Names to All the Animals" in my head on the way to Urgent Care, but I wouldn't recommend it... I had it in my head because I was thinking of Lynnie and remembered that I intentionally left it off her "Intro to Mraz" cds because I figured she'd be annoyed by it & misjudge his brilliance...

    the end.

    love from the Caroinas!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete